Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is free erasure software designed for consumer use. DBAN users should be aware of some product limitations, including:
- No guarantee that data is removed
- Limited hardware support (e.g. no RAID dismantling)
- No customer support
DBAN is a self-contained boot disk that automatically deletes the contents of any hard disk that it can detect. This method can help prevent identity theft before recycling a computer. It is also a solution commonly used to remove viruses and spyware from Microsoft Windows installations. DBAN prevents all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis. It does not provide users with a proof of erasure, such as an audit-ready erasure report.
- Wipe files within a Microsoft Windows environment and various UNIX environments..
- Learn about Smartphone and Tablet data erasure.
- Use TrueCrypt for full volume encryption.
- The B2B trading place for buying and selling computer parts and equipment
Need a guarantee of erasure?
Blancco guarantees 100% data sanitization of all your IT assets with regulatory compliance.